Mail Art Exhibition
Postcard art by Evon Zerbetz
MAIL ART is our first annual, community supported, postcard art fundraising project.
New York artist Ray Johnson, in the mid 1950s, posted small collages, prints of abstract drawings and poems to art
world notables, giving rise to what became known as the New York Correspondence School. Artist Edward M. Plunkett
has argued that communication-as-art-form is an ancient tradition; he posits (tongue in cheek) that mail art began
when Cleopatra had herself delivered to Julius Caesar in a rolled-up carpet. (from Wikipedia)
Mail art became popular in the 1960s. Any postal marks added to the piece while enroute contribute to the story and the
look of the artwork. Origins can be found in works by Marcel Duchamp and Kurt Schwitters and the Italian Futurists.
MAIL ART is our first annual, community supported, postcard art fundraising project. Postcards are donated to BAC by the maker. They are on view and for sale in the gallery from May 6 to May 29, 2022 at only $35 each!
Mail Art participants and the public are invited to the opening reception on Friday, May 6 from 6-8 pm. All
INDIVIDUAL DATES & TIMES*
- May 22, 2022 at 11:00 am - 05:00 pm (Sun)
- May 23, 2022 at 10:00 am - 06:00 pm (Mon)
- May 24, 2022 at 10:00 am - 06:00 pm (Tue)
- May 25, 2022 at 10:00 am - 06:00 pm (Wed)
- May 26, 2022 at 10:00 am - 06:00 pm (Thu)
- May 27, 2022 at 10:00 am - 06:00 pm (Fri)
- May 28, 2022 at 10:00 am - 06:00 pm (Sat)
- May 29, 2022 at 11:00 am - 05:00 pm (Sun)
151 Winslow Way E, Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
Free parking available on the street, particularly behind the gallery